Monday, May 14, 2012

Looking for a Good Baby Name?

With all the genealogical research that my daughter and I have been doing over the last month, we have come upon some very interesting first names.  Being a collector of names myself, I have begun to compile a list of given names that I like, some of which could be poised to make a comeback.

When the Social Security Administration released their list today of the statistically most popular baby names for 2011, I decided to check my list against theirs.  I wrote down my favorite but less common twenty or so girls' names and twenty or so boys' names and then I checked their list of the top 1000 names over the past 12 years.  Here is what I found:

1. Girls' names from my own family history that I like and which are currently trending upward:
  • Adeline (#288)
  • Marina (#618)
  • Stella (#73)

2. Girls' names from my own family history that I like, but which are currently trending downward:
  • Carolina (#429)
  • Daisy (#166)
  • Eliza (#255) 

3. Boys' names from my own family history that I like and which are currently trending upward:
  • Anderson (#294)
  • Archer (#447)
  • Bennett (#239)
  • Gibson (#909)
  • Grady (#302)
  • Grant (#151)
  • Knox (#434)
  • Lawson (#582)
  • Marshall (#340)
  • Owen (#44)
  • Royce (#530)
  • Zane (#220)

4. Boys' names from my own family history that I like, but which are currently trending downward:
  • Clayton (#258)
  • Dalton (#276)
  • Dawson (#316)
  • Wilson (#603) 

5. Girls' names from my own family history which haven't ranked anywhere in the top 1000 for the past dozen years, but which I like and think ought to be given consideration:
  • Avelina
  • Emmaline/Emmeline
  • Etta
  • Flora
  • Geneva
  • Lenora
  • Magnolia
  • Minerva
  • Isadore
  • Rosetta
  • Sonora
  • Viola

6. Boys' names from my own family history which haven't ranked anywhere in the top 1000 for the past dozen years, but which I like and think ought to be given consideration:
  • Caswell
  • Creed
  • Garland
  • Hale
  • Weldon

Note:  These names have only come from one side of my family, my dad's paternal line, so there may be more to come as my research goes further.

No comments: