Monday, May 23, 2011

So Many Books, So Little Time

I need to buckle down and write my books. I'm tired of carrying them around in my brain all the time; they're getting heavy.

In no particular order:

Story Lines - A matter-of-fact children's book about a little girl who frequently goes to visit her grandmother in a nursing home, the unexpected friendships she has made there, and the wisdom she learns from her grandmother along the way. (I have a working manuscript for this one and I have done some preliminary shopping it around to publishing houses, just to get used to those fun little rejection letters.)

David Speaking - A fictional novel based on my own grandmother's difficult life, the story of her life that she herself refused to tell, insisting that it was best left in the past, pieced together through the contents of a box of letters and documents we discovered after she died. I have not yet started this one, but I have mentally written the prologue and know the basic outline I think I would want to follow.

Road Scholars - A nonfictional travel memoir of our family's recent four-month road trip around the country, what we experienced and the things we learned--with a healthy dose of humor to balance out the deep stuff. Title undecided--I've also thought about Sawdust Carnies and Four Months in a Starcraft. I have a lengthy journal from this trip full of stories that will form a large part of this book.

An untitled young adult novel based on a group of friends and acquaintances at a public high school, looking into their lives, finding faith and deciding whether or not to keep it. Loosely based on some of the experiences I have had over the years teaching and subbing in the public schools, as well as my own teen years. I have started this one and developed the core of main characters, but not an overall plot.

3392: The View (More or Less) From Where I Live - A fictional novel based on my own experiences moving from an urban/suburban environment to an intensely rural one. I have some bits of this written.

A cookbook of the recipes I use for our woodworking school meals, since I get requests for a cookbook from at least one student out of every class we have. Funny that I didn't grow up cooking and have just recently begun to feel comfortable doing it.

A collection of short stories from my journals and blog, chronicling my personal journey of parenting--the good, the bad and the ugly.

A handful of other children's books.

Must. Get. Writing.

If you had your 'druthers, which would you be most interested to see?

2 comments:

Amber said...

Is it considered "cheating" to say ALL OF THEM! Okay, I will buck up and say
*3392
*COOKBOOK
*Road Scholars
are my top contenders from that list.

Jeannie said...

Hmmm, so hard to choose! I can only say that the cookbook would be at the bottom of my list since I don't have much interest in cooking. Yet, because I know how good your meals are, I know people would be happy to have your cookbook.