Monday, May 30, 2011

Forty, Check.

Been there. Done that.

I must say, forty was a good, good year.

Here are some things I did during my fortieth year:

- went up in a hot air balloon

- exhibited my photography in two different art shows--one of them in my own brand new gallery

- climbed to the top of one of the peaks of the Bitterroot Mountains

- spent three days and two nights with my dear husband in a fire lookout tower at the top of one of the peaks of the Sapphire Mountains

- spent four days and three nights at a cabin on a lake with several girlfriends

- hiked in the Jewel Basin, part of the Bob Marshall Wilderness

- traded my fun-but-impractical vintage cruiser for a mountain bike

- camped three days in the Idaho panhandle with good friends, including a fifteen mile mountain bike ride

- drove to Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas, Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusets, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Wisconsin, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and New Mexico--roughly in that order, with numerous repeats

- saw my first Broadway play

- went to the Statue of Liberty and toured Ellis Island, a lifelong dream

- visited the historic sites in Philadelphia, Boston, Lexington and Concord, Valley Forge, and so many others

- worked as an employee of my ten year old daughter for $11/hour

- went up to the top of the St. Louis Arch and the Washington Monument

- got familiar with the subway systems of both New York City and Washington, D.C.

- visited old friends all over the country

- sampled some of the best (and worst) BBQ in the nation

- toured an Underground Railroad safe house

- went to more incredible museums than I can count

- found the hidden, overgrown and forgotten cemetery containing the graves of my great-great grandfather and my great-great-great grandfather (the latter of whom was born in 1800)

- rode a unicycle on a high wire

- saw my son grown taller than me

- worked at a friend's greenhouse in exchange for LOTS of beautiful flowers

- added a beautiful deck to the front of the house

- went to a circus and watched my daughter ride an elephant

- became a pig farming family

- got a great start on writing a book

It's been quite a year, I tell you, quite a year. Nothing to fear about forty, as far as I'm concerned. I think it was the best year of my life. It's hardly fair to poor forty-one to compare it to this past year.

3 comments:

alison said...

Forty was definitely your year. Taking the long view, I think it was mine too, but I think you had more fun.

Happy Birthday.

Sherry C said...

Yes, I'm certain I had more fun. Life changing long-term growth is yet to be determined. Thanks for being part of my great year.

Simply Sandi said...

Sherry, you must think I am stalking you! I am loving your writing style, have ever since I found you. Glad to hear you a writing a book! I am also 41 but don't think I had quite an amazing 40th year as you, although I love the challenge of getting it all down in list-form. I may have had a better year than I remember! :-D
I still have roughly eleven months to make this year count and that is what I am intending to do!