Tuesday, June 01, 2010

A Handful of Worthy Quotations

When I have a chance to show my work, I love to intersperse my images with interesting quotations or poetry. Some of these are bits I've used before, and some I just found snooping around the internet tonight. Some are specifically about art and some aren't. Enjoy.

---

Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on. Sir Winston Churchill

---

Nobody sees a flower, really; it is so small it takes time. We haven't time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time. Georgia O'Keefe

---

In the struggle between the stone and the water, in time, the water wins. Chinese Proverb

---

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page. St. Augustine

---

The artist must train not only his eye, but also his soul. Wassily Kandinsky

---

A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there--even if you put them end to end, they still add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds snatched from eternity. Robert Doisneau

---

To whom then, will you compare God? What image will you compare Him to? Isaiah the Prophet

---

The music that really turns me on is either running toward God or away from God. Both recognize the pivot, that God is at the center of the jaunt. Bono

---

'Things' are pretty, graceful, rich, elegant, handsome, but until they speak to the imagination, not yet beautiful. Ralph Waldo Emerson

---

Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still. Dorothea Lange

---

You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus. Mark Twain

---

I hate cameras. They are so much more sure than I am about everything. John Steinbeck

---

The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera. Dorothea Lange

---

Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow. Imogen Cunningham

2 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

A wisely collecte bunch of wisdom. I like Sir Winston Churchill's the best.

CML_Shearings said...

Louis & I loved looking around your gallery at the art you & Andy have displayed for the public.