Saturday, May 01, 2010

Farewell, Facebook

I've been using the popular social networking site, Facebook, for the last couple of years. I have reconnected with old friends, stayed better connected with current friends, and watched old casual acquaintances turn into dear friends. These have all been wonderful. Unfortunately, I've also had to learn all kinds of information that I really don't need to know about some people; voiced opinions, only to find that they stir up more controversy than they were worth; and for a variety of reasons, wasted a boatload of time.

For every five minutes I have spent smiling about a wonderful, beautiful friend I might not have ever known so well without this tool, I have spent ten minutes agonizing over miscommunication, misinterpretation, or what seems to me to be just plain ugliness--at the very least, things I wish weren't stuck in my head. For every five minutes of useful reading and writing I've done on FB, I've wasted ten minutes of unnecessary and unproductive--sometimes counter-productive--time on the site.

I was never a math major, but even I can do this math, and it doesn't come out in Facebook's favor.

Turns out, I'm a blogger, not a Facebooker. I guess I should have known that all along. I've neglected this little blog of mine over the last couple of years, but I guess I'm back--and I'm truly happy to be here.

3 comments:

Amber said...

While I miss you over on the "other" site, I have also missed you around your little blog-home. Glad you are back.

Carol-Ann said...

You are a writer.
And a good one!
FaceBook gives little provision for detailed, creative expression.
Glad to see your entries appearing again in bloglines!

CML_Shearings said...

I'm so glad you posted about Facebook, since Esther has been bugging me about getting on it. I had been dragging my feet. Now, I am thankful I didn't waste my time.