Sunday, March 21, 2010

Founding Fathers

I'm convinced I would have made a terrible Founding Father--and not just because of my chromosomal make-up.

I've taken a lot of political science classes in my life. I've taught history. I'm fairly knowledgeable. But the problem is that I just don't care enough.

My faith is the primary driving force of my life and my identity, and my faith is just not wrapped up in politics.

Call me unAmerican, but I don't have a president, representing any American political party. I have a King. The King of Kings, in fact. I'm pretty sure that title trumps any currently in the news. And His kingdom is not of this world. If it were, I would fight harder for it. Check out John 18:36. And Matthew 22:15-22. Look at the whole book of Acts and consider the political context in which it takes place...and the amount of political action the early church took part in.

I don't even care that much when legislation is passed that seems to make my faith more difficult to publicly practice. Look at where serious Christian faith grows strong and flourishes--generally in countries where it is not easy to live it out. One look at any church library's shelf of biographies will tell you that.

Seriously, are we really endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, among these life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Show me where this shows up in the Bible. I'm not joking or being facetious at all. If it is there, I want to know about it. All I can find is that I am a sinner deserving of death. When and where did the Creator say that I also deserved life, political freedom, and the pursuit of wealth and property (oops, I meant happiness)?

I just don't get it. Sorry, everyone. Samuel Adams, I am not.



Although a Sam Adams doesn't sound too bad right about now...

My kids are going to come out either warped or brilliant, having me as not only mom, but also teacher. I'm not sure which way it's going to swing for them, honestly.

5 comments:

Sherry C said...

I'm afraid this comes off as if I don't care at all. I do care. Just not enough for it to be my primary concern in life, my first topic of conversation, my identity.

concretegodmother said...

no, i hear you, and i thank you for posting this. i take a similar view in my own post tonight. i'm not abdicating responsibility as a citizen, but for now, i cannot devote an excess of energy to politics. i see arguments of merit on both sides, and i cannot decide where i stand just now. i just know that i cannot be angry tonight; i'm tired of being angry about things i cannot control. it seems wasteful of energy, so i am redirecting my energies to other things for now. thanks for the perspective.

concretegodmother said...

nice to have you posting here again, btw.

Carol-Ann. said...

In my mind, one of your best posts -- and that says a lot because you consistently produce interesting posts! Thanks so much. I do follow you through bloglines so I don't show up here often but am glad to see you posting again.

CML_Shearings said...

I'm in total agreement, Sherry. Wonderful posting!