Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Gratefulness Project

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (From the Bible, I Thessalonians 5:16-18)

Seems pretty direct, doesn't it?

In anticipation of the Thanksgiving holiday, just over a month away, I would like to take this passage more seriously, particularly that last part about giving thanks in all circumstances--not FOR all circumstances, but IN them.

Gratefulness is rooted in humility. It requires us to acknowledge the giver of every good gift. Otherwise, it is rather pointless, isn't it? If you don't acknowledge a Giver of gifts, then who or what exactly is the object of your gratitude? I've never quite understood the point of celebrating Thanksgiving Day in a household that doesn't acknowledge God. It should seriously just be called Turkey Day. But I digress...

So, for the next month or so until the Thanksgiving holiday, I am going to be focusing on thankfulness. I will try to frame every post here in that mindset.

I really anticipate this to be a real perspective-shifting time for me, as I discipline myself to continually return to a right understanding of who I am, who God is, and all He gives to me.

Join me?

1 comment:

Eagle-eye Di said...

Yes I will.This was beauiifully put.November 1st I will begin for the Thanksgiving month.