Monday, September 14, 2009

Stumbling and Bumbling

September has always come with such a bang before. It is the end of summer play time and the beginning of the new school year and all of its routines.

Not this year.

I was not prepared for school to start. We had been putting so much of our lives into our business and art ventures that I was lax in planning my curriculum and gathering the books we would need.

Then, the very day before we were scheduled to begin, a big group of friends invited us to go camping with them and we jumped at the chance. School could wait a few more days.

Packing for the camping trip late at night, we noticed "water" on the floor of the basement. The pump had failed and there was sewage spewing out, soaking anything that was on the floor. We cleaned up until two o'clock in the morning, got it under control and went on our camping trip. The repair would have to wait. It's still waiting, which means that we are again down to one shower and toilet, and have no capacity for doing laundry. The kids' first day of school clothes (they always get one brand new outfit) were among the dirty items, since I allowed them to wear them to church before we were to start school. No first day of school photos for us.

Two days after returning from camping, I left to go on a ladies' retreat for the weekend. It was a really excellent time of quiet reflection and personal growth for me, but only put me further behind on my school prep.

Returning home Sunday afternoon, I flew into a frenzy of food prep for the woodworking class that was to start today. This morning saw some school work accomplished, but not what I would have hoped.

So, school has started with a whimper instead of a bang. If I can get ahead on some more food prep for the rest of this woodworking class, I can devote more time to planning and school prep. The kids don't mind, of course, and we aren't really in trouble because we can make up on a few Saturdays, but I don't like starting this way.

Now if you'll pardon me, I need to go make a cheesecake for tomorrow's dessert.

2 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

Welcome to life!

alison said...

Having bright and bookish kids goes a really long way and being a natural and professional teacher doesn't hurt either.

It's going to be a great year.