Saturday, August 01, 2009

CSFW Kickin' Burgers

I was feeling badly today that I was making such a simple meal for the last day of this most recent woodworking class. Having mistakenly thought the class was over on Friday, I was not feeling overly inspired to quickly come up with a killer Saturday noon meal. I had decided to just grill up some burgers, make french fries, and throw together a veggie salad, a green salad, some fresh fruit kabobs, brew some iced tea and call it good.

By the time the meal was finished, though, everyone was raving about it and so entirely stuffed that we all wanted to take naps in the shade. Before I could forget what I had created, I sat down and wrote out what went into making the hamburgers. My children actually asked me to make copies for them so that they could make these burgers for their friends, when they are a little older and hosting their own back yard barbecues. They were that good, my friends.

So here you go:

CSFW Kickin' Burgers (Makes 6--and I don't know the person who could eat two of them)

2 lbs. ground beef
1 egg
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
8-10 saltine crackers, crushed
2 t. liquid smoke concentrate
2 t. minced garlic

Mix all items thoroughly by hand in a large bowl and divide into six patties, each about six inches across (patties will be thick)

Grill until just done, adding a thick slice of Tilamook pepper jack cheese part way through.

While someone else is preparing the grill and grilling the burgers:

Fry up six slices of thick cut, peppered bacon, cut in half

Leave bacon grease in pan and use it to saute a large, sliced Walla Walla sweet onion

When burgers are ready, serve with bacon, onions, sliced tomato, lettuce, sliced jalapenos, mayo and spicy brown mustard.

Oh. My. Goodness.

After only one serving, these have officially become a signature meal of the Chidwick School of Fine Woodworking experience.

No comments: