Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas
This takes a fair amount of work to prepare ahead of time (plan on 1 ½ hours) so I like to do it the night before. YIELD: 30 enchiladas (2 pans of fifteen enchiladas each). Each pan will easily serve 8 adults, when combined with other side dishes. It is perfect for two big family dinners (bake one pan, freeze one pan) or one REALLY big house full of company.
3 medium sweet potatoes
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium onions, diced
1 can corn, drained
1 cup water
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
2 teaspoons coriander
4 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 (19 ounce) cans green enchilada sauce, divided
30 corn tortillas
8 oz finely shredded cheese
½ cup freshly snipped cilantro
1 can (oz.?) sliced black olives
16 oz. sour cream
1. Boil the sweet potatoes in a pan of water for 20-30 minutes, or until tender. Peel and dice into one inch cubes.
2. In a large pan, bring sweet potatoes, beans, onions, corn, water, green chiles, spices, garlic and one cup of enchilada sauce to a boil and simmer for twenty minutes, stirring frequently.
3. While the filling is cooking, heat the tortillas so they will be soft. I like to make packets of 5-6 tortillas each with tin foil and place in a warm oven to do this.
4. Spoon approximately ½ cup of filling into each tortilla, roll up and place in pan, seam side down. This is a messy, imprecise art, but that’s ok.
5. Place fifteen enchiladas in one 9x13 baking dish/pan and do the other fifteen in the other dish/pan. They will be very crowded. That’s ok; cram them in.
6. Divide the remaining enchilada sauce between the two pans and pour over the top.
7. Cover and refrigerate overnight, if you have time. If you want to save one pan for another time, cover it with plastic wrap securely (I use two layers), then cover with foil tightly (again, I use two layers to ensure freshness) and place it in the freezer.
8. Bake thawed enchiladas uncovered for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. The tops and edges will be a little crispy.
9. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese, return to oven for another few minutes, until cheese is well-melted.
10. Garnish with cilantro and sliced olives; serve with optional sour cream.