Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Sherry's Aunt Mary--A Tribute Paid in Cookies

My Aunt Mary Jane's memorial service is tomorrow. My parents are able to be there, for which I am grateful.

I've been thinking about her this week, and remembered her days as a cookie baker extraordinaire. I told my kids about when she had a cookie business, supplying cookies to businesses all over town to sell individually. She would make dozens upon dozens of cookies every day at the peak of this endeavor, and her customers raved about them. My Crazy Baker Elli lit up as I told the story, wishing she'd been able to know her great aunt more.

When I was down there for a visit once, she was baking and I was privileged to be able to sample her best, the Pecan-Chocolate Chip Cookie. It was scrumptious, perhaps the best cookie of its kind I'd ever had. I asked her for the recipe. She hesitated. This was her special cookie and she wasn't sure she wanted it to get out, but I promised I would protect the recipe and she agreed to let me copy it down.

This afternoon, I went and dug through storage. If I could find my box of cookbooks, it would have my recipe box in it. I knew Aunt Mary Jane's recipe was on a folded up sheet of notebook paper toward the front of the box. She dropped the 'Jane' later in life and just went by 'Mary,' so the recipe is appropriately titled, "Sherry's Aunt Mary's Pecan-Chocolate Chip Cookies."

I found it.

It is here in front of me as I type, and I am anxious to pick up some pecans at the store. While the rest of the family is at the memorial service, I will be baking cookies, in honor of a great lady.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Well, this also piqued the interest of another crazed baker. I would love to bake some of her famous cookies, in tribute of another person who delighted in making tasty treats for friends and family. Do you think you can post the recipe, or should stay in the family, in honor of your Aunt? I understand that completely!

Jeannie said...

Thanks, Sherry, for this nice tribute to Mary Jane (yes, I still call her that). The service is at 10:00 this morning, and I guess we're as ready as we're ever going to be. We've spent hours upon hours upon hours, every day this week getting her affairs in order and making preparations for today. It was all well worth it--a labor of love for a wonderful sister-in-law. She will be greatly missed by all those who were close to her.

We'll be home tonight.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sherry,
Mary Jane was certainly known for her kindness and unselfish giving of herself for others. As I went through her affairs, it was obvious she gave a little money here and there as she could, but she gave so much more - her time. Caring for children and baking cookies for so many were the themes of those that spoke at her memorial service. Perhaps the youth pastor at her church said it best - she will be remembered for her many acts of confection.
Dad