Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sumpin' Sweet

I had a serious hankerin' for sumpin' sweet Thursday evening, but we were fresh out of sweets in the house. There weren't even any chocolate chips in the baking supply cupboard! The evening was busy with homework and housework, however, so I couldn't get to the store. By Friday morning, the craving had intensified to the point of desperation, so I made the kids drag chairs into the mouth of my tiny kitchen so they could do their schoolwork there, orally, while I set to baking.

I knew I didn't have any chocolate chips, but the craving called for baked goods which involved chocolate, so I looked through the assorted squares of baking chocolate. Finding two large squares of semi-sweet, I placed them in a double layer ziploc bag and pounded the heck out of them with a hammer. Once they were reduced to bits of chocolate shrapnel, I was ready to begin. I scanned the cupboards for other likely ingredients and found a jar of peanut butter, a bag of Craisins and another of raisins, and the big bag of dry seven-grain cereal (similar to oatmeal, but so much better). I checked the refrigerator. I had plenty of butter and two eggs. This would work.

In the end, the recipe below is what I ended up making. I started by looking at a recipe on the back of the Wheat Montana Seven-Grain Cereal bag called "Old Fashioned 7-Grain Cookies", but I modified it in so many ways that I think it stands alone as a new recipe. When all was said and done, it seemed only appropriate to name the new cookie after the intense hankerin' that had inspired its creation...the quest for Sumpin' Sweet.


"Sumpin' Sweet"

Ingredients:

2 eggs, well beaten
1 t. vanilla
1 C. sweetened dried cranberries (Craisins)
1/2 C. raisins
1 C. peanut butter
1/4 C. butter, softened
1 C. brown sugar
1 C. white sugar
2 1/2 C. unbleached flour
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
2 t. baking soda
2 C. seven grain cereal mix, which includes hard wheat, soft wheat, oats, rye, barley, triticale, and spelt (plain oatmeal will do in a pinch)
2 large squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped to bits with a hammer

Combine eggs and vanilla in a small bowl and set aside. Place cranberries and raisins in a small sauce pan, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer for ten minutes or so, until rehydrated and plump. Remove from heat, drain off liquid (and serve to kids in juice glasses; they love it) and allow to cool. Cream together peanut butter, butter and sugars. Add flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda to sugar mixture and mix well. Add egg mixture, cereal and chocolate. Roll heaping teaspoons into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 325 F for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Cool five minutes before removing from pans, as cookies are a bit gooey inside at first. Makes about 5 dozen.



Oh, and this morning I discovered that, sure enough, I had been PMSing pretty hard on Thursday and Friday. Oh, well. Whatever motivation it takes is worth it when it comes to a cookie this good. TMI? Sorry. My family has a new favorite.

5 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

ingsdaAwesome, can smell the kitchen from here! Is there a Wheat Montana in Missoula now? Those cookies, the calorie count must be in the thousands but who's counting right. I think i gained three pounds just reading about them.

CML_Shearings said...

Sherry, I've baked the original cookie recipie on the Wheat Montana bag, since I eat the 7 grain cereal hot each morning along with ground flax seeds, yogurt & fruit & always have it around. It's about two dollars less a bag at the Wheat Montana store on Reserve than it is now at Super One. I bet Louis, my chocoholic, will love your recipie.

AmberJ said...

I love it when you get a hankerin'! Those look Yummy! (minus the raisins and craisins...but who am I to judge?) -- I am constantly at awe of your kitchen talents. Have you thought of writing a "cooking for those of us not so fortunate enough to have natural talent" book?

Dan said...

Those look amazing! Bravo, from one cookie creator to another!

CML_Shearings said...

Sherry, Your cookies are scrumptious! Thanks!