Saturday, October 04, 2008

A New Record

Tonight is the annual harvest dinner at our church, a big shindig wherein a couple of hundred of us celebrate God's goodness, stuff ourselves with a huge pot-luck feast, and enjoy a wide variety of down-home entertainment.

It occurred to me, though, with precious little time left in the afternoon, as I was considering what I would bring, that the main course tonight is turkey.

It is a turkey dinner.

I'm not sure if I know how to eat a turkey dinner without my great-grandmother's traditional carrot bread.

I mentioned it to the kids, and they were in.

I do believe the three of us just set a new land speed record for the making of a triple batch of carrot bread--one hour twenty minutes--including grating the carrots and chopping the walnuts.

Whoosh.

Bonus: I now have a loaf to serve with a breakfast this week and another to save for our next class. I can make plenty more for the holidays later.

3 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

Super. How was the feast?

Sherry C said...

[low moaning sound]

It was great, but I et too much.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. When your mom and I were dating, sometimes I would get invited over for Sunday diner. My first question was "Is Grandma Hudson going to be there?". I knew she always brought a fresh loaf of carrot bread. I went whether she was there or not, but it was always a special treat when she was.

Sure sounds like you have had a busy week, and have risen to the challange. Glad things are going well. Hope you are able to get some rest soon.

Dad