Monday, October 06, 2008

Day Eight

Look at me, sitting down at three-thirty in the afternoon!

Lunch was good today, I thought, although it didn't draw as many compliments as others I've made. Everyone seemed tired; a mild case of the Mondays, I suppose.

I started my pasta sauce at 8:45 this morning, after roasting the veggies to go in it. By 12:30, lunch time, it was some good tomato-meat sauce, friends. I put it over cheese tortellini and served it with steamed broccoli and carrots and warm rolls with butter.

For dessert, I had sliced some local MacIntosh apples, steamed them briefly, laid them out on a cookie sheet, sprinkled them with brown sugar and cinnamon, then baked them for a bit. I whipped up some more fresh cream and put a dollop on top of each serving of the baked apples. Heavenly.

Although lunch prep went well and the meal came off nicely and the kids were being fairly cooperative, I found myself feeling very grouchy and tired after lunch. I threw out some SOS prayers, hoping I wouldn't snap at my children. Elli and I listened to a chapter of one of her school texts on audio while we did the dishes. The rest of the school day and the clean-up process went very smoothly, but still, I was feeling on edge. I was grateful that God kept me from acting out on how I was feeling inside.

By three-thirty, when I began writing this, I was mostly done. Tano still had a little bit of school work to do, but most of it could be done independently. At four o'clock, I looked around and found the kitchen clean-up completed, the house in fairly decent shape, and the boy wrapping up his school work. I couldn't think of any real reason not to, so I grabbed a pillow and a heavy quilt and went out to the swing in the yard. I read my Bible for a bit, then stretched out and fell asleep. It was really nice, aside from the dogs coming to check on me a few times, bumping their heavy bodies against the swing and sniffing my face. I was out for probably forty minutes. Amazing.

I came back in and made a light dinner, then the kids and Andy ran into Missoula to get more sandpaper for the class. I have stayed behind, still feeling quiet and slightly out of sorts, but not bad. As soon as they return with my car, I will run to the grocery store for a few things I need for the rest of the week. Then, I think it will be early to bed for me.

1 comment:

alison said...

My friend, I would like to point out that you, in addition to participating in a cooking Olympics, are almost never away from your children. It all starts to coalesce, but not in a good way.

Resting and taking a little time to yourself are good choices, that the time is at the grocery store, not so good. During the wood working school break, make sure to get some quality time alone, or at least separate from your kids.

My .02 - dearly earned.