Monday, September 01, 2008

First Day of School

Well, we did it. We started school.

Because we are going on a long bike ride with a big group of friends on Friday, we decided to start school today instead of waiting for the traditional post-Labor Day start. The day dawned grey and rainy anyway, so I was glad we'd chosen to get things rolling.

It was great. We cranked through the morning at a brisk clip, covering Bible, math and Spanish together before splitting up so that Tano could take on one of Plutarch's biographies, some astronomy, penmanship and earth science while Elli worked on Saxon and Norman kings of England, penmanship and animal science. Then we came back together and filled people, places and dates into our Book of Centuries (a glorified time-line), and did P.E.

We finished at 12:00 straight up, just in time for me to make lunch for the whole gang. Over lunch, the kids gushed to their dad and grandpa about how much fun they had, and recounted all the things they had learned. I couldn't wipe the stupid grin off my face as I listened to them ramble on. It was really, really fun.

The kids are now enjoying their first taste of "self-directed learning time" which consists of them pursuing their own educational desires while I do things like dishes and laundry, from one to three o'clock. As far as I can tell, they are busy with baby toad rescue, having found another knot of them in another window well.

I don't anticipate everything going as smoothly as it did today, but this was a great start. The kids and I are bubbling with excitement, all of us.



This is the first time I have ever been a part of the first day of school photo. I like it.

5 comments:

Sherry C said...

Ok, starting TOMORROW, school stuff will be recorded on the school blog. I couldn't deprive my viewing public of the first day of school photo!

alison said...

Yippee! I'm glad you posted. Sounds like a great first day. You guys are going to have a wonderful year.

Anonymous said...

If the kids learn too much, will their heads explode? Just want to make sure this is safe.

Sounds like a great first day. Glad it went well.

Dad/Grandpa Larry

AmberJ said...

Love first day of school photos! Sounds like you guys had a busy first day!

Mister Ed T said...

Great start! No Grandpa, their heads won't explode.