Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ball Game, Part Three, and Still More Gardening

Speed Booth Report:

I'm three for three--two more free tickets for next week. I think the ladies who work the information booth are on to me; they smiled briefly and then glanced at each other when they saw me coming to claim my prize.

Osprey Report:

The 'Sprey had a single shot homerun and a grand slam in the very first inning to jump out to a 5-0 lead. In the fifth inning, they hit two triples. In the sixth, the first baseman made a spectacular catch, landing fully in the splits and hopping back up without injuring himself. Another homerun was hit in the seventh. And yet, I have still never seen this team win a game. Ever. Our spirits were dampened further by the rain that fell on and off throughout the evening.

However, I will continue to ride my own personal winning streak out until I run out of free tickets.

------------

On the homefront, I put a bird bath out in Grandma's Garden today and surrounded it with quite a few more plants. I liked how the dahlias looked surrounding the main bird bath, so I ran over to Nance's and picked up a few more to do the same with this other bird bath. I like how it seems like the dahlias are peeking over the rim to admire their reflections in the surface of the water.

I also took a huge metal wash tub, the kind you might use for washing a big dog, and turned it into a planter. I crammed so many different plants into it, like a ten inch color bowl, only a heck of a lot bigger. It looks spectacular. Unfortunately, though, I forgot to move it to where I wanted it before loading it with dirt and plants. It was a little heavy. We had to pick it up and move it with the skid steer.

Finally, I rescued a couple of large timbers, maybe railroad ties, manuevered them in between a pair of big pine trees, and filled the resulting rectangle with dirt, making a pretty little raised bed for some part-shade plants. I hope they do well there.

At one point today, I wandered over to Georgia's with an extra four-pack of lemon gem marigolds that I didn't need, hoping to trade for something. She was out in her yard working, too, and was willing to wheel and deal. We were like kids with baseball cards, very fun.

I have only a few plants remaining, some sun-lovers in need of another large container. I have my eye on a large bucket of sorts up in storage that may be available. It should only take me an hour or two to put it together tomorrow morning.

I told my family this evening that I had bad news or good news, depending on how they see it--that the gardening madness would be coming to an end, as I am running out of plants and the few scraggly things left in the greenhouse are all either mostly dead or completely dead. It's over. But oh, it has been fun.

2 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

Heartbreaker of a loss! Keep up the throwing arm. Is gardening good "therapy" for it?

Sheila said...

Fun! Give us some pictures!