Thursday, July 31, 2008

Soft Spot

My grandpa came by for a visit this morning. After a tour of the construction site (with which he was very impressed and pleased) and a cup of coffee and a tour of the new flower gardens, he announced that he needed to get going, that he had much to do.

Elli, in her typical fashion, climbed into the passenger side of his pick-up truck and pretended to stow away. She grinned with delight. This is a standard trick for her, followed always by instructions to get back out of the vehicle. But when I glanced at her great grandpa's face, I knew that she had won this time.

I strode up to Grandpa's open window.

"What is going on here?"

Elli buckled her seat belt and continued grinning, her hopes high.

Great Grandpa's face was soft.

"I'll bring her back later," he smiled sheepishly. And that was that; they drove away.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness! That is so sweet!

Mister Ed T said...

That's what Grandpas and Great-grandpas are for!