Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

It is a different Mother's Day for us this year, the first one without Andy's mom. We spent some time at the grave site and shed some necessary and beautiful tears in her honor. I didn't really expect much of the day's attention to focus on me, but it has been a shared event and very pleasant all around.

For me, Mother's Day enjoyment is derived often from what I don't do, rather than what I do.

This morning, I didn't get up to awaken everyone else and get the day started, and I didn't make breakfast--Andy made pancakes and eggs and I was awakened by the whistle of the tea pot, followed by a little girl snuggling in next to me with a small teddy bear she had purchased for me with her own money.

I didn't tell the kids to get their teeth brushed or go find socks and shoes. Somehow, it just happened. I don't know how.

I didn't plan anything for dinner after church--we went out.

I didn't help Elli figure out what to wear. She dressed herself, so pleased to look her best for church as a show of love to me. Note the vintage white gloves that were her Great Grandma Peggy's; the ensemble wouldn't have been complete without them. There was no way in the world I would have critiqued her choices today. It was my best gift--the one that made me smile all day.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you who qualify.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day, my friend.
--Laura

Mister Ed T said...

Happy Mother's Dar! The kids' teeth got brushed? Miracles do happen!