Saturday, May 03, 2008

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?

I bought a new (old) bike today.

I've been looking for one for a while now, and found a real beauty at a garage sale today. It was gorgeous. A dream bike. I made the guy a lowball offer, once I realized he really didn't know much about the value of the bike, and he took it without question. I was shocked and knew it was a bit of an impulse purchase, but I figured that if I got it home and changed my mind for any reason, I could easily turn around and sell it for three times what I paid.

I brought it home with a big smile on my face all the way, knowing that I had scored, one way or another.

As soon as I arrived home and showed it off to the admiring family, Elli and I went for an inaugural ride to test it out.

------------

Q. What is the heaviest mode of ground transportation ever developed?

A. 1961 Lincoln Continental
B. Sherman Tank
C. Diesel Locomotive
D. Sherry's New Bike

------------

Let's just say that my new bike is right up there.

I thought I was going to die as we rode up the gradual hill to the little grocery store to pick up some things for dinner. My daughter was kind enough not to laugh aloud at me when I had to stop and rest...three times. I was grateful. It was a challenge to walk calmly through the store, with my legs quivering like jello and sweat pouring from my brow, my lungs burning and my breath coming in desparate gasps.

I happened to run into several people I know there, and they couldn't take their eyes off the beauty of the bike--even without me trying to draw any attention to it--but...

Now, there are easily two factors working against me here. First, the bike is in need of a minor tune-up. Second, well...I am, too. With the bike rolling a little more smoothly and my strength and stamina increasing a bit, it might just be fine. But, it is still a beastly bike; I could barely lift it into the back of the pick-up truck.

So all this to say, I'm having second thoughts.

I posted this on Craig's List this evening, just to see what interest might be out there. While I await responses and consider my options, I will tune the bike up and see if my legs can get accustomed to the weight. If ever there were a great fitness plan, it is riding this bike, but I'm afraid I just won't ride it if it is always this much work.

Anyway, check out the listing; the bike really is a beauty.

2 comments:

Scott Lyons said...

It's a beauty, Sherry.

Mister Ed T said...

Gorgeous bike! Now beg your hubby to get into shape and you soon will be too! No pain, no gain!