Thursday, April 10, 2008

One Sick Puppy

I received a call from the school secretary early in the day yesterday, informing me that Elliana was "sick." She listed off her many complaints, including sore throat, headache, cough, stuffy nose and upset tummy.

I was doubtful, but what do you do? I went to pick her up. She didn't seem sick to me. I figured she was probably just tired from a late night gathered around the trebuchet and needed a nap more than anything else. I informed her as we walked out to the parking lot that she wouldn't be watching TV or anything fun; she would just be laying on the couch, reading, napping and doing her homework.

She persisted.

When we got home, she went straight to the couch with a book, sinking lower and lower until she was completely horizontal. I thought she might fall asleep, but her book was too interesting and she stayed there until it was finished. She admitted she was tired then, but hunger took precedence and she asked for a snack before she took a nap.

The rest, followed by a snack, seemed to revive her completely and for the rest of the day, she was her cheery little self. I had to continually remind her that she'd stayed home sick and had to stop running around the house as if she were well.

Little faker.

I was frustrated, and let her know it.

Sick as she was, she managed to gobble down a good dinner and be an active participant in all the family activities for the evening.

During her bath, she began to complain anew of a tummy ache. I wasn't buying it. But by the time she got out of the tub, she was clearly green and she stumbled to the couch with tears in her eyes, complaining of nausea.

I had to admit, she did seem a little more believable.

By eight o'clock, the chicken pot pie had come back to haunt us all.

She was violently ill until sometime after 1:30 this morning. Poor thing. I spent the night in the recliner next to her pale, clammy little body on the couch.

I think she is much better this morning and her fever seems to be gone. So far, she has managed to hold down the few sips of water I've given her--a big improvement over last night.

I'm off to school to drop the boy off and get the girl some more reading material.

After that, I think a nap is in order.

No comments: