Wednesday, April 02, 2008

April Foolery

We have fun with this one around our home. We take our joking very seriously.

A brief rundown of yesterday's events:

I applied bright red lipstick and then awoke my son from his deep slumber with a kiss on the forehead--swearing the rest of the family to secrecy. He did discover it before he left for school, but that was a close one. Fun.

I glued some coins to the floor to amuse my daughter. She loved it.

I also stuffed a raisin into the toothpaste tube. That caused a bit of a stir when the kids went to brush their teeth.

I served dog biscuits with the strawberry smoothies, which grossed the kids out. They were further disgusted when their father took it a step furter and ate one. I then asked the kids, with a most devious expression on my face, if they would like a yummy slice of apple pie to go with breakfast. Pie is not generally a breakfast food at our house and, naturally, my offer was greeted with a fair amount of suspicion. Andy saw through me and volunteered for a slice, which he proceeded to eat. This did not calm the kids' fears, however, as they had just seen him ingest a Milkbone. Elli finally got brave and took the risk; the pie looked awfully good. Tano was entirely freaked out and wouldn't touch it. The joke was on him, of course; as it was perfectly good pie with no unappetizing alterations. Poor kid--it will be a long time before he is offered pie for breakfast again.

By the time the kids left for school, I was warmed up and ready to do some serious pranking. I sent an e-mail to Tano's teacher, a woman whom I count almost as a friend, as I spend so much time helping in her classroom. She and I e-mail back and forth quite a bit regarding Tano's missing homework assignments (there are usually many--another story). This is what I sent:

Heather,

I'm sure by now you've caught wind of what happened last night with the boys at baseball practice after school. I doubt anyone will admit to anything directly, but could you please keep your ears open to their conversations?

Tano has claimed that he wasn't directly involved, but we have good reason to believe otherwise.

You might also mention this to Nancy, [the other fifth grade teacher] across the hall.

Thanks,

Sherry

I chuckled to think of the two teachers whispering in the hallway and conspiring over lunch.

"Have you heard anything?"

"No, not yet, but I'm listening to everything. It sounds really serious!"

I thought about them often, over the course of the school day, and giggled.

Meanwhile, Andy was doing a bit of pranking, as well. He called up Rachel, our supposed housemate who has been visiting family in Washington for two and a half weeks now. In the angriest tone he could muster, he informed her that her two dogs are causing us serious trouble, running around on other people's property and destroying our relationships with our neighbors. He said that we are sick of the dogs and of her idea that we can just watch them for her while she goes off visiting. He told her that he didn't care how she arranged it, but that the dogs had to be gone, off our property, in the next twenty-four hours.

Silence.

Nervous clearing of throat to speak.

Then he burst out laughing and told her he was just kidding--April Fools.

I talked to her on the phone later and we laughed about it. She said she never falls for April Fools jokes, always sees them coming, but not this time. She fell hard. It was great.

The day went on and I wondered what the scene at school was like. When the boy came home from school, he looked quite concerned.

"Mom, why did you send that e-mail to my teacher? What was that about? Nothing happened at practice. All the boys were talking at recess, trying to figure out what you were talking about!"

I smiled.

"Was that an April Fools joke? If it was, she didn't take it as a joke. She lectured the whole class for a long time about our behavior and called me up to her desk to talk about it personally, and said she was forwarding your note to the principal!"

My heart sank. I had gone too far. Dang.

I sent off another quick e-mail, trying to make light of it, hoping she would have a good sense of humor about the whole thing:

Sorry, Heather.

That was just a little joke there. There is no major issue with the fifth grade boys. Did I get you and Nancy talking and wondering, though?

Aren't you glad April 1 only comes once a year?

Sherry

I felt terrible about it and apologized to my son for pulling a prank like that at his expense.

But then this note arrived in my inbox from the teacher this morning:

I figured it was when Tano was appalled that it was his mom that sent
the email! I kinda played it up and told them I was going to tell the
principal. Nancy thought it was probably April Fools too because the
kids seemed shocked and couldn't think of one reason you'd be emailing.
:)

She had gotten me! Touchè.

My reply:

You rock! Way to turn it back on the kids (and me!). Tano came home quite freaked out, telling me that you'd lectured them and informed the principal.

Nicely done.

Have a great day,

Sherry

4 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

Lots of fun! I've never tried much. Wanted to but couldn't come up with anything creative. But you have given me some fuel to work on for next year.

alison said...

I can't believe you wrote that note to the teacher. I became a bit tense just reading the whole exchange.

I know it's only been a couple of days since you last posted, but it seems a lot longer.

Sheila said...

That's too funny! So did Andy really eat a real dog treat? You guys are too much! I wouldn't have trusted the pie either!

Sherry C said...

Yes, Sheila, Andy ate at least a couple of bites of a dog treat. He gave the rest to the dogs. I married a crazy man.