Wednesday, April 23, 2008

An American Tragedy

I wish the title represented some clever joke or funny story. It doesn't.

In all the construction confusion of extension cords in our basement, our deep freeze was accidentally unplugged.

I don't know what a statement like that does to you, but when Andy broke the news to me, it felt like I'd been punched in the stomach. Hard.

It was full of food.

Full.

Of food.

We've just now finished emptying it of its spoiled contents, primarily meat. I don't know which is worse, the overwhelming stench, or the understanding of the value of the food I've just discarded--two large trash cans full, plus three milk crates and a bucket.

I wish everything had been sealed and self-contained, but it had not. Most of the meat had been wrapped in only celophane and white freezer paper, so the leakage factor now leaves an unpleasant task ahead of me. I have to go back down there and clean it out, but I needed to gather my courage first, so here I am.

Andy is delivering the putrid load to the dump right now. I guess I should get back to work.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh yuck. I'm sorry!
I gasped aloud when I read the second paragraph.
How long had it been unplugged before Andy found it? I almost don't want to know.

Dan said...

Sherry, I'm so sorry. That's happened to me before, and it nearly happened to me a week or so ago.

God forbid it should happen again, but I offer this as a public service to anyone who has the same thing happen to them. If it does happen, what I recommend is to plug it back in and let all of that thawed mess freeze again. Clearing out frozen nastiness is much less distasteful than clearing up thawed, rotting nastiness.

Sherry C said...

Sheila,

We don't know precisely how long it had been unplugged; a couple of days is enough for the damage to be done.

Dan,

Re-freezing is exactly what we did, too. We discovered it more than a week ago and have been unwilling to face it until today. Unfortunately, it had thawed a second time when the extension cord was borrowed for what was supposed to only be a few hours--but then was forgotten. The second re-freeze left behind a far worse mess than the first would have.

alison said...

Oh Sherry!

Sooooo sorry. That is terrible, from start to finish. Torey is here and she just asked, "What's that stinky face for?" I'm really feeling your pain.

p.s. we were up late last night checking things. ARE talking. Will call tomorrow.

Mister Ed T said...

Oh so sorry! You WILL survive the smell. The loss of food, well it cam be replaced. I know, at a cost. I'm sure Jehovah-jireh has a lesson for us in here some place.
In the mean time, I will pray and you will clean. I know, that doesn't sound fair does it.