Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sub Notes

I have been subbing this week for Biology (basic, Honors and Advanced Placement) and Anatomy & Physiology classes, while the teacher is in Las Vegas with the school's nationally-ranked robotics team. The Honors and AP classes have gone so well. I have been especially impressed with the AP students, of course. Their discussions are completely over my head: sugars and phosphates and bases, purines and pyrimidines; oh, my! Those are some bright kids.

The basic classes have not gone so well--especially today.

It is so difficult to be a sub some days. Some kids treat me as if sub refers to subhuman, an altogether different kind of lesser being not deserving of any respect or basic human kindness. In the minds of some of my students this week, I think I rank somewhere below the class pet--Hurtle the Swimming Turtle--and, if I'm lucky, somewhere just above the goldfish they feed to her.

No one should have to endure this type of treatment as a regular part of the job. I'm not paid well enough for this.

1 comment:

Mister Ed T said...

Can apprediate your feelings. Put on the Lord's "Turtle Shell." You are of greater value that many gold fish!