Wednesday, December 19, 2007

New Toys for Chirstmas

I have a few new toys in my sidebar that I thought I'd point out.

Pandora, the ubercool new music site, makes two appearances. The first contains links to the radio stations my kids and I have created (and one created by a friend). You can click on them and listen without registering as a user. The other Pandora feature is a few random songs that I am enjoying this season. You can click on them and hear a sample. Cracking me up is "Done Found My Lost Sheep," by the Seegers. I wish you could hear the entire song in all of its Appalachian hick glory. It is based on the biblical parable of the man who had a hundred sheep and lost one, went out and searched for it, then called his friends to rejoice with him that his lost sheep had been found. I find it stuck in my head quite often.

Also, Free Rice is a great little vocabulary quiz site that automatically adjusts to your abilities and challenges you to gradually improve. Browse around the site; it seriously provides food for the poor as you play, through an ingenious, yet simple process. Also, if you click into options, you can have it remember you, keeping track of your running total and skill level. Playing it several times over the last few days, I have already seen an improvement in my vocab skills. I can reach level 42-43 consistently and have made it up to 44 once. Do I have a challenger?

10 comments:

Word-a-holic said...

3500 grains and I couldn't break 39. You are very good -- directly reflected in the writings on your blog!

Dan said...

You and I must be at about the same place. Since this is so addicting, I've done it a few times. My first time out I grabbed a 44, but haven't been able to duplicate that. It's been 42 or 43 each time.

I think it's cool.

Dan said...

The ads are very interesting. There are a few randomly dispersed musical questions that no one would really know unless you'd studied music. Such as a semibreve being a whole note, or that glissande would be a "sliding step." I do glissandi on my trombone all the time.

Up popped an ad for the Woodwind and the Brasswind, a place where I've bought a trombone before. I don't imagine that the W & B would show up for anyone but musicians. I think they have a highly sophisticated logorhythm at work. I touched 45 just once, but I think it was a music term that put me over the top.

This is addicting.

Sherry C said...

Grrr...

I was just playing again, too, and I've yet to hit that magic 45. I got back up to 44 twice, but then fell short. I'm definitely learning some new (and in some cases, utterly useless) words, though.

I guess there are worse uses of my time.

alison said...

Played twice: made it to 43 and 44 respectively.

Will need to see if I can get up to 47...was it you or Dan who got there, or both?

Showoffy. I think you know what that means.

Scott Lyons said...

Stopped by to be showoffy. Just snagged a 48. I held it for one word and then glissaded, rather, plummeted to 41. Pride and humiliation. Pride and humiliation. Over and over again.

Sheila said...

oooohhhhh - look at all the sweet gadgets! I so want that little thing at the bottom that lists all your categories - how did you get that one? Is this another new blogger thing that I have to learn? Why oh why can't we live closer together so we can have little blog coffee mornings so I can learn your ways???? (yes, I plan on whining for awhile and doing nothing to solve my problems, thanks for asking) I like the blue, too. Very nice.

CML_Shearings said...

This was such fun. My high school Latin,medical & religious background were helpful, as well as being an avid reader. My first try I made it to 44 & couldn't break past it. The next time I remembered some of the new words that showed up again & broke 45. The last two times I got to 46 & stayed in the 40's word after word, but couldn't get past 46. I may become an addict too.

CML_Shearings said...

Does anyone know how high the score can go? I reached 48 the last two times I played, since I learned a lot of the words I didn't know at first. That appears to be my current ceiling.

CML_Shearings said...

PS - I have learned enough new vocab. my current ceiling has been 50 the last 4-5 times...so the high score is at least 50.