Sunday, December 02, 2007

Love

Andy and I were in bed at 9 o'clock this evening. We'd been so tired all day, even with a decent night's sleep last night. The last few months have just been so exhausting.

But as soon as the lights were out, we discovered we weren't really tired after all. We tried to fall asleep anyway, but with no success.

We began to talk quietly. We talked about love and commitment, to each other, to our children. He talked about the gaping hole in his heart, with the loss of his mother, and the power of a mother's love in general. I talked about not wanting him to have to feel alone in the process of grieving. He reminded me that I wouldn't be able to fill his every need. We talked about needs versus wants and which things in each category I could help fulfill for him.

Finally, when the moment was right, I asked him if he wanted to know what I really wanted. His response was tender, as I might have expected.

I told him that what I really wanted was a scoop of mocha chip ice cream.

I was kidding, of course, but as I type this, he is driving through the blowing snow to the grocery store.

I love that man.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

He's a keeper.

alison said...

I am thinking about you this morning as you and all of Andy's family return to a new and achingly different life.

Sherry C said...

Really, I tried to talk him out of it. It was just meant to be a light-hearted and silly comment.

We can both highly recommend Ben & Jerry's "Coffee Heath Bar Crunch," the closest thing he could find to my specific request.

alison said...

Oh, that sounds GOOOOOOOOD.

Would you ask Andy to drive some of that to Michigan? Just as a light-hearted, silly comment...