Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Jacks Cows...Whatever

Apples to Apples is a fun game to play with a group of friends, particularly friends with some awareness of history and culture. It is not, however, a fun game to play with high school freshman and sophomores who are not exactly, shall we say, stellar students with a broad base of experiences.

For some reason, they like to play it occasionally after school. They laugh and joke and thoroughly enjoy themselves. I grit my teeth and bear it. For me, to play it with them is an act of love that I'm sure will be rewarded someday in Heaven.

Overheard around the table this afternoon:

"What does 'elitist' mean, and why would someone put down South Africa for it?! Come on, people, Africa is a continent! Learn some geography!"


"'Refined?' Victorian England? Uh, I don't think so. I don't even know what that means. That one is definitely not it."


"For 'brilliant,' I'm going to have to go with Garrison Killer or Kyler or whatever that name is, because the card says he has written books and is a famous radio person. Michelangelo is just some guy from Italy who painted something."


All of the above responses were to cards that I had laid down. I only wish I were making this up.

Oh, and the title of this post refers to a student's attempt at pronouncing Jacques Cousteau, whose card I had played as a match for the word 'bold.' It was quickly discarded as irrelevant.

I don't often win this game when I am playing it with students.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Funny! I play that game to make people angry, not to win. It's more fun for me that way.

AmberJ said...

So sad...what is that line from Ferris Beuhler's day off? "I weep for the future!"