Tuesday, December 18, 2007

¡Fiesta Time!

My kids are learning to like spicy food by thinking of it as a party for your mouth. After all, some parties are a little louder and crazier than you might prefer when you first walk in the door, but if people you really like are there then you try to get used to it and usually wind up enjoying yourself.

So tonight I threw together a few good ingredients I had on hand and it turned out to be really tasty. I had hoped it would, as it was a combination of things we really like. I took one bite and knew it might be a little spicier than Elli is comfortable with, although I thought it was perfect and knew Andy and Tano would, too.

"Enjoy the party!" I encouraged.

We enjoyed it so much that I thought I ought to post it here for those of you who, like me, tend to not plan dinner before you actually want to sit down and eat and then stand in the kitchen hopelessly staring at the random items in the refrigerator and pantry, willing them to organize themselves into something wonderful to set before your family that won't take more than twenty minutes to prepare. Chef Dan, I am not.

Here you go:


SHERRY'S SIMPLE ARROZ CON POLLO

Boneless chicken, cut into small chunks or thin strips (I used a pound and a half of misc. parts)

16 oz. can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed

15 oz. can of corn, drained

4 oz. can of diced green chiles, not drained

1 C. or more of medium salsa (I like a salsa fresca or pico de gallo from the refrigerator case, not something that comes in a jar)

2-3 T. olive oil

6 C. cooked rice (my kids LOVE Jasmine, but I'm sure anything would be great; also, cooking it in chicken broth and butter adds great flavor--but you knew that)

Start the rice cooking, according to package directions. Note: Jasmine rice only takes twenty minutes. This recipe isn't nearly so quick if you are using good-for-you brown rice. Cook the chicken in a large skillet with some olive oil on medium heat for a couple of minutes by itself, then dump in everything else, cover and cook another five minutes or so. If it is too liquidy, take the lid off and let it sit a little longer, but you want some liquid in there. Serve over rice. Makes six generous portions.


That's it.

Tano had two very large servings and begged for a third. He ranks it right up there with Chad Potatoes and Chili/Cornbread Casserole on his comfort food scale. Friends and neighbors, that's saying a lot.

Enjoy the party.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Sounds tasty to me!

alison said...

Thank you for posting the recipe. We call Chad Potatoes "Sausage Potatoes" around here and they are HIGH on the rest of the family's list. I overdosed, myself, so I make it on nights I am going to be gone.

In the beginnning I LOVED it.

This sounds great.

I have been thinking about and praying for you a lot. This morning, when the kids were still sleeping, I thought, "I bet it's quiet at Sherry's too!" and then realized that at 5 a.m. your time, it probably was quiet...but not necessarily when you would welcome a call.