Monday, December 03, 2007

Aspirations

My daughter has wanted to be a baker for the last year or so. She has her yellow chef's hat and apron, emblazoned with "Crazy Baker Elli," from the name of the bakery she plans to open.

But lately, she has been writing--a lot. Yesterday, she wrote a story about a nearly tragic hotel fire and her friend, Emily the Superhero, who came and saved the day. She read the story aloud to us again and again. She was so proud of it.

This morning she announced the new plan:

"You know how I want to be a baker, right, Mom? Well, I've been thinking that, when I grow up, I want to be a writer, too."

I couldn't help but interrupt briefly. "You already are a writer, Elli. You write. You don't have to wait until you grow up."

She beamed and her eyes sparkled with excitement. "But when I'm doing it for my job, I think I know how I can do it. I will publish books on some days of the week, and on the other days, I'll cook!"

2 comments:

alison said...

Good plan, Elli G, good plan.

Carol-Ann. said...

This little post reminded me of a van I saw on a Toronto street a couple of weeks ago! I nearly crashed my car trying to pull off to the side of the road to copy down the slogans they had on their doors before I forgot the exact wording! Seems to me they must have had dreams of being cooks and gag-writers:

"Sam 'n Ella Catering.
Food to Die For.
Tactile Support Unit 1st Response."

(At least it is Elli and not Ella!)