Sunday, November 25, 2007

We Have Been Given Another Sunday

After a long night of sitting by Mom C.'s bedside for Dad C., Ruth and myself, we were given another Sunday. We watched the sky turn grey with the first light of dawn, then change to a lovely pale pink, the bright moon still shining on the sparkly white snow that covered both hills and trees. It was a truly beautiful morning, despite our grief in knowing she wasn't long for this world.

As the sky brightened to a deep blue and steam rose gracefully from the river that flows past the house, Mom's breathing began to relax and come more easily. The struggling, ragged and rattling sounds she had battled with all night were quieted and her unresponsive frame seemed to rest. In return, the three of us began to relax as well. We watched the deer stroll through the yard, to and from the river's edge. We each took a shower and had breakfast. Weary as I was, I decided to go on to church, as it looked like she was resting comfortably and would be holding on for a bit longer.

Arriving at church, I made the decision to leave my cell phone on, with the volume turned down low. If it rang and interrupted the service, that would be ok, just this once. I opened my phone to turn the ringer down as I approached the door and noticed that I'd somehow missed calls from both Andy and Ruth in the last few minutes. I decided to call back before I went in.

Mom was gone. She had simply stopped breathing and slipped away ever so peacefully. I turned and drove back to the house, where the whole family was able to gather together to say our final goodbyes, hold one another and pray.

We have been given another Sunday, the first one without her. She has been given her first Sunday in the presence of Jesus. She definitely got the better end of the deal.

She was dearly loved and we will all miss her terribly.

10 comments:

concretegodmother said...

I'm so sorry. I'm happy you had another Thanksgiving together. The amazing bittersweet of loss -- her suffering is over, you will be reunited, but it hurts now and the hole is large. Hang in there. Tell lots of stories about her.

Scott Lyons said...

I'm sorry, Sherry. I'm praying for you and your family.

Carol-Ann. said...

We all feel so sad for you. You have frequently been in our prayers and seldom far from thoughts through the last few months.

Dan said...

I'm so sorry Sherry. My prayers will be with you all.

AmberJ said...

I'm so sorry for you and Andy and the kids.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for you loss Sherry. Please know that we are thinking of your family. I am sure she is loving heaven without any pain or suffering. You're in my prayers. Love and hugs to you all,
Stephanie Hagen

Mister Ed T said...

So sorry for your loss, but glad for Mom C. Our prayers are with you.

Annette said...

I am very sorry to hear about your mom Andy. I am praying for you Sherry and your family.

Annette

Eagle-eye Di said...

I am so sorry to hear of your mother in law passing away on Sunday.Our hearts and prayers go out to all of you during this time.Both moms are rejoicing togeather in heaven and singing those beautiful hymns in our good Lord's presence.We love all of you very much and will be upholding you all in our prayers.

Sandy Rinck said...

Dear Andy and Sherry

Bill and I send our condolances to you. Andy's mom's journey is now complete, but it doesn't make it earier for those left behind to mourn. We will be praying for your family during this difficult time.