Friday, November 02, 2007

Waiting for Rain

From Psalm 68:

8 the earth shook,
the heavens poured down rain,
before God, the One of Sinai,
before God, the God of Israel.
9 You gave abundant showers, O God;
you refreshed your weary inheritance.
10 Your people settled in it,
and from your bounty, O God, you provided for the poor.
19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior,
who daily bears our burdens.
Selah

We are going through some difficult times right now, for sure, but God is faithful and I will trust Him. He has given abundant showers before to refresh his weary inheritance and I, his heir, believe he will provide them again.

I spent twelve years living south of Los Angeles, where the rain is sparse and fire and drought are a constant threat. Now three and a half years in Montana, I am again living in an arid land. This past summer was the hottest and dryest one on record and the fires burned all around us for six weeks straight.

Was it a difficult season?

Yes.

Did my lungs ache for fresh air?

Yes.

Did my eyes grow weary of searching the horizon for rain clouds?

Yes.

Did the fires do damage?

Yes.

Did we become discouraged?

Yes.

But did the rains finally come, quench the fires and refresh the parched land?

Yes.

I know how to wait for rain, and I will.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Continuing to pray for you.
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Yes, "They that wait uopn the LORD..."
Uncle Ed

Sheila said...

Praying for rain for you. (and reading between your lines as well)