Friday, November 16, 2007

Sub Notes

Day four of my subbing assignment, day four of Christmas carols floating down the hallway from the band room. I think they're getting better. Today's serenade is "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow." Considering the fact that it rained all night, I don't think they will be getting their wish.

Tuesday's snow didn't stick, even though the snow continued to fall, at some times quite heavily, for the entire day. Gazing out the window, one could imagine being inside a snow globe, except for the bare ground.

I like this group of students, the same ones who made the Chinese food on Wednesday. They have a good collective sense of humor. As I was taking roll this morning, I asked if anyone knew what might be going on with Jessica, as she has been absent all week. One student offered somberly that she had died. The others, stifling giggles, began to volunteer other details, concocting a whopper of a tale that didn't end until Jessica had been trampled in an elephant stampede. In eastern Montana.

When poor Jessica did arrive, tardy, she was shocked to learn of her nearly tragic demise. The class agreed that she looked pretty good for having been so recently trampled by elephants.

This is why I prefer to work with high schoolers. They are fun.

------------

Later this same day I was heard saying:

"Sorry, I'm afraid I don't know where Mrs. D. keeps the zipper foot."

I don't even know what a zipper foot looks like.

2 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

Zipper foot? Now that's living by faith. Glad you had fun.

CML_Shearings said...

Your Sub Notes have been so fun to read. Yes, I have a couple of zipper feet with my sewing machine. One for regular stitching & another for fancy work. Do these students get to machine embroidery so that they need to change the zipper foot?