Thursday, October 11, 2007

Three Things Thursday

1. I read the first two-thirds of Haven Kimmel's The Solace of Leaving Early. Although I love Haven Kimmel (A Girl Called Zippy was excellent), I didn't immediately connect with this book. I pushed myself to continue for a while. But after I had the basic idea of the book and a clearer understanding of the title, and recognizing the limited space for fiction in my life right now, I found a certain amount of satisfaction in the irony of leaving the book early. I think Ms. Kimmel would forgive me--and smile.

2. I finally read The Ragamuffin Gospel. Good thought-provoking stuff and a great read, if there's anyone out there among my friends who hasn't picked it up yet. It's especially valuable for those of us who just don't seem to fit in--and don't necessarily want to--in the proper and upright church-going world.

3. I'm reading my Bible more than anything else right now, like an IV drip directly into my veins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like your IV drip analogy. Never heard of the Ragamuffin Gospel but it sounds interesting. Might have to check it out.
Uncle Ed