Thursday, October 04, 2007

It's OK; I'm a Professional

I arrived home shortly after midnight last night, thanks to Cari, a good friend who was willing to come get me at the airport and deliver me to the Homestead. My car was there, so I got in and drove home to the Loft, scanning the sides of the dark highway for deer.

Andy woke up briefly to tell me that Tano was sick with a sinus infection, had been to the doctor already and was not to go to school the next day.

He drifted back to sleep quickly. I lay there for a long time, happy to be home and in my own bed with my husband, but struggling to shift gears into sleep mode. I have no idea when I finally fell asleep, but I awoke in the darkness to the sound of him shuffling down the hall. I was confused and thought I was in the hospital and my dad was getting up to use the bathroom all by himself. I opened my eyes and couldn't figure out where I was at first.

Then it hit me: I was home. I smiled in the darkness.

Then I heard the sound of Andy vomiting in the toilet, again and again.

I have helped clean him up, get him some warm clothes as he is chilled, and settle him onto the couch with a glass of water and a bucket. It is now 5:45 AM. In a few more minutes, I need to call the home where his high school guys' Bible study meets this morning and inform them that he won't be coming.

I don't think any of us will be going anywhere today.

Oh Lord, give me patience and strength.

3 comments:

alison said...

Oh Sherry...I am praying that this will be just what you guys need, that Andy's illness won't escalate (i.e., he'll quit ppuking), that Tano will be free from pain and that all of you will be able to reconnect and have a sweet and quiet day in ONE PLACE.

You had already come to mind this morning and I prayed for your day, probably right around the time you were helping Andy or typing this.

I'll continue to be there with you.

CML_Shearings said...

If it helps to know, this virus is making the rounds & doesn't last long. Esther was down less than a day, although she too was up-chucking at first. I'm so glad you arrived home just in time!

Anonymous said...

Wow enough alredy! I hope and pray that everyone in your family will get better soon. Uncle Ed