Monday, October 08, 2007

Given Another Sunday

Yes, I know, today is Monday, but my thoughts started yesterday and I'm just now attempting to lay them out in a somewhat organized fashion.

Mom C. made it to church yesterday. It took a supreme effort on her part to gather the strength to do it, but she did. It was so good to have her there and no one cared that she had to lay down across the chairs in the back row for the second half of the service. It was just so good to come together to the house of the Lord.

For the last six weeks or so, it has become the pattern for at least someone in our family to cry through church on Sunday. Yesterday it was my turn. As we sang "Blessed Be Your Name" (lyrics below), the tears began to stream down my face and drip onto my sweater. I held Mom's hand and pushed my squeaking, cracking voice to belt out the cry of my heart.

I was thinking about it all later, after the service, and realized that there is such a special connection between God and me when I am worshipping Him in song. I have been neglecting my own personal worship time lately, saving it all up for Sunday mornings, and when I am in touch, in tune, I can feel the nearness of God. His presence has been so real lately.

But I shouldn't be surprised.

Psalm 34:18 says the Lord is near to the brokenhearted.

Psalm 73:28 says the nearness of God is my good.

Psalm 145:18 says the Lord is near to all who call on him.

Lamentations 3:57 says, "You came near when I called you, and you said, 'Do not fear.'"

I'm feeling it. His nearness is overwhelming and comforting at the same time. But I need to not save it all up for Sundays.


"Blessed Be Your Name"
by Matt Redman

Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

That song has been the cry of my heart on many an occasion. When I sing it in the dark times, it is truly a sacrifice of praise, and it has been on my lips frequently over the last couple of months.

Anonymous said...

It is amazing the way God speaks to us through song depending on the circumstances we are living through. Sometimes the words are easy to sing, sometimes they carry a lot more meaning and require more trust and emotional determination to make the "choice" to bless His name. The last couple months has been a challange for you to make that choice, and you have no idea how how blessed I am by having a daughter (and whole family) that can continue to sing the song honestly.

Love you,
Dad

Sheila said...

I love that song, too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your heart. That song is deep (I believe it comes from Job's words near the beginning of his book). Many people sing it glibly, not realizing its signifigance. You do. May you continue to experience the Lord near you.
Uncle Ed