Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Accepting Both

My dad had a heart attack and quintuple bypass surgery a month ago. He came through the surgery fine and is recovering very well.

My mother-in-law has angiosarcoma cancer, a nasty and aggressive form. A month ago, her prognosis was poor and it looked as if time was very short. Stage Four. Terminal. But yesterday, the doctor was encouraged by her increased red and white blood cell counts and even dared to use the term possible partial remission. More testing is in order.

This week, a person we had always counted as a trustworthy ally, a fully supportive brother in Christ, has turned against us with very public suspicions of our wrongdoing. He is attempting to seriously discredit Andy's ministry and personal integrity. We don't know why.

Just this morning, Andy had engine trouble on the way to work and school. It appears that the transmission is going out on his truck. Both of our vehicles are old and unreliable. Mine, the better of the two, has more than 220,000 miles on it. We don't have the means to replace either one. Something as simple and expected as engine trouble on an already troubled vehicle is just so disheartening, when added to everything else.

But what then--shall we accept good from God and not adversity? (Job 3:10)

We will accept both and we will trust.

But we are tired.

4 comments:

alison said...

Sherry, I will continue to pray. I am happy, excited, sorry, grieved and concerned in relation to all the different situations you are going through.

I hope you have fun tonight with your family.

Anonymous said...

Sherry, you have an awesome attitude. I believe a lot of its is the attack of the enemy. Will so pray.
Uncle ed

Jeannie said...

We are praying too.
Love you both very much, and wish we could help you through times like this. I guess the very best thing any of us can do is pray, pray, pray--continually.

P.S. I love the new look to your blog! It's beautiful!

Dan said...

Know I'm praying over here. Sorry about the car troubles--I don't find anything more exasperating and frustrating than that. My prayers are filled with empathy for you!