Monday, September 24, 2007

Cartoonist Wanted, Apply Within

My son is almost finished reading The Hobbit for a book report at school. He loves this sort of fantasy, be it from Tolkein's middle earth or Lucas' futuristic interplanetary battles. Last night, he was sitting in the living room reading while the rest of the family was likewise enjoying miscellaneous quiet pursuits. It was a nice way for us all to be together in peace--something that doesn't always happen with two children who can manage to annoy each other by breathing.

So, the boy looks up from his book and asks my all-knowing husband, "Dad, what were the names of all the dwarves again? I can only remember a few of them."

Without looking up or missing a beat, my dear husband begins to name off the dwarves: Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc...

"Dad! Not THOSE dwarves!" You KNOW what I mean!"

At this point, I managed to pull off a fitting and funny one-liner, which I can rarely contribute, once the conversation has entered the realm of fantasy fiction, a world in which I am nearly illiterate. I turned to my son and said, very matter-of-factly, "These are not the dwarves you are looking for."

Then we all rolled laughing.

In case you are lost, you need to know that this is one of the famous lines from the Star Wars saga, only it refers to droids, not dwarves. I had successfully combined The Hobbit, Star Wars, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

What we need is a cartoon that would combine all these elements. Perhaps a Lord of the Rings setting, with Snow White's dwarves and Gandalf speaking this line to someone (Obi-Wan? Bilbo Baggins? A stormtrooper or sandtrooper?). I don't know. Andy and I laughed at the thought of it, but we don't have the artistic ability to pull it off.

Does anyone know a half-decent cartoonist who would work for free to make a ten-year old kid fall on the floor laughing until tears streamed down his face?

No comments: