Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Breakfast Club

This morning, I had the most fun I have had in quite a while. I knew that this was See You At The Pole day at the public schools, that nation-wide phenomenon in which Christian kids are encouraged to show up at school quite early, join hands around the flagpole on the front lawn and pray together. Honestly, I've never been a part of those festivities, but this morning, living right across from the high school, I was curious.

I looked out the window at seven o'clock, the time I thought it was supposed to occur, and there was no one around. Oh, well, I thought, I guess no one does that at this school. Half an hour later, though, Andy looked out the window again and saw a group of two dozen or more, hands clasped and heads bowed, circling the pole. I recognized a few of the kids and two parents. I quickly finished getting Andy and the kids out the door, threw on some warm clothes and a hat, trotted down the stairs and across the street and wedged my way into the circle next to Cadie, whom I've mentioned here before. I was so encouraged to see she had chosen to identify herself with the openly Christian kids on campus.

After we prayed, under the leadership of one of the students, I stuck around to greet the kids I know, meet some new kids, and chat with the parents who had graciously shown up with hot chocolate for everyone. The air was cold, about thirty-five degrees, and the kids were all shivering and huddling together, looking around to figure out what to do with the time left before school started. Then it hit me:

School wouldn't start for another thirty-five minutes, my house was warm and basically clean and I had plenty of breakfast fixin's on hand.

"Are you guys hungry?" I asked.

Several of the kids I know and their friends looked at me with hopeful faces and nodded, teeth chattering.

"Come on! We've got time--I'll make you some breakfast."

Ten high school kids followed me Pied Piper style across the street, stomped up the noisy metal stairs to our apartment and crowded around my dining room and living room, talking and laughing. They sipped hot chocolate and orange juice while I quickly scrambled some eggs with cheese and salsa and toasted English muffins.

We had the best time. The kids were blown away that I would make them an impromptu breakfast like that. I was blown away that they were so comfortable coming to hang out here. Breakfast was great. We laughed together over some photos on my laptop from summer camp. Several kids expressed interest in going next year. I scored a few bonus points for being able to join in with some of the drama kids who were quoting Monty Python. Then they thanked me, grabbed their backpacks and hustled back down the stairs and across the street to beat the tardy bell.

So fun.

I think the best part of it all, though, was the fact that Cadie now has a new identity. She is now one of the Christian kids. She is one of the ones who came to my house for breakfast on that cold morning after See You At The Pole. This shy, socially awkward and lonely outsider kid is part of a group now, a group loosely formed by a shared experience of prayer around a flagpole followed by food and laughter in my home.

I can't wait to do something like this again.

I need to go buy more eggs.

3 comments:

alison said...

How lovely that you were able to be spontaneously hospitable, you "city" girl you.

Anonymous said...

"See you at the pole." I 've forgotten about it. I was there a few times back in Thorhild.
Good job!
Uncle Ed

Eagle-eye Di said...

I haven't heard anyone talk about it around here.I guess I need to check about it.That was such a wonderful thing you did by inviting them all up for some breakfast and chit chat time before they needed to get going into school for the morning.Christ like love was given from you which is a wonderful testimony to all.Love ya.