Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Beautiful Evening

I was in the north end of the valley last night, running a couple of errands and decided to run a book over to Nance's house while I was in the area. It was already nearly nine o'clock when we arrived, but of course, we ended up staying.

The kids played at the house while she and I went for a walk. It was a most refreshing walk, up and down gravel country roads.

1. There was no smoke in her area, so I could finally breathe deeply and enjoy a little exertion again--I've been missing my evening walks tremendously.

2. The evening was clear and cloudless--beautiful.

3. It was cool enough to wear a sweatshirt comfortably--I do love cozy clothes and after the terrible heat of July, it felt wonderful to be slightly cool.

4. The wind was whistling through the trees and tall grasses and the crickets were singing merrily--each making its own song, blending together in perfect natural harmony.

5. We enjoyed uninterrupted adult conversation--always a wonderful thing.

It was just so lovely. I felt like pulling a Julie Andrews and running across the open fields and grassy knolls with my arms open wide in the fresh breeze. The terrain was right for it. I could have.

I should have.

Once we got back to the house and darkness had fallen completely, we sat on the porch talking some more and watching the black velvet sky littered with billions of stars. The Milky Way was spectacular. We saw several shooting stars in the span of only a few minutes, so she ran into the house and brought out some blankets. We lay down with our daughters (the boys were too busy with Legos) in the front yard and snuggled together under the blankets to watch for more. We saw at least half a dozen more while we lay there, just us girls, talking and laughing.

It was a magical evening and I will treasure it for a long time.

2 comments:

alison said...

I love that, when the beauty isn't just a back drop to our life and we make room to let it be the show.

Pulling a Julie Andrews might have been a way to give it your full attention and enter in to it too.


At times, like you have described, I think of a line of Edna St. Vincent Millay's "World, I cannot get thee close enough!" It's when I want to physically embrace creation.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a great evening. You needed the wind down.
Uncle Ed