Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Visitors!

Andy has been on the phone lately with his sister, Ruth, and it looks like she and her beau, Benny, will be headed this way for a visit in August. Yippee!

Although Ruth has been talking about this guy for a long time now and seems to be quite smitten with him, we have only met him the one time when the family converged in Vancouver, B.C. for her graduation back in May. He seemed like a really nice guy, but with all the festivities surrounding graduation, we hardly got to know him very well.

During one big family dinner, he and I shared burger duty over a hot grill, and I took the opportunity to grill him with questions about his family and his childhood back in Africa. I found him to be soft-spoken but articulate, intelligent and incredibly kind-hearted, just as Ruth had said. Our brief, one hour conversation left me wishing for more, so I am anxious to have them out here on our home turf where we can all relax and enjoy some casual time together.

We did have some casual time in B.C. when we had the party one evening at Ruth’s house. We laughed and played music and Benny danced, even pulling all the kids up to learn some basic African dance and join him, but it wasn’t enough. It was still structured time, rather than basic get-to-know-you stuff.

I guess I’m just a conversational person. I like to be able to sit and talk, or walk and talk, or drive and talk, or…well, you get the idea.

Plus, my kids thought he was the best thing since sliced bread, so they are thrilled that he may be coming for a visit. They loved the crazy dancing bit; Elli held his hand sweetly while we hiked through the suspension bridge park, and Tano looked up to him with great respect when he shared with the boys a few tips on how to someday treat a lady right.

Oh, and they are, of course, excited to see Auntie Ruth, too--sorry about that, Ruth!—we’re always excited to see her. It’s just a bonus to get the two-for-one deal.

We can’t predict yet that this is it, the big one, but we are still excited that they’re coming. Benny is, after all, a big part of Ruth’s life and worthy of getting to know just for that reason. But beyond that, he just seems like a cool and fascinating person, and getting to know him will, no doubt, only make our lives all the richer.

I sure hope this trip works out. I try not to get excited about the possibilities of visitors, as so often plans don’t work out after all, but this one has me all a-twitter.

1 comment:

CML_Shearings said...

I just read your last several posts after Andy's return as one long read. Delightful. I am so glad you like to blog your experiences & thoughts! The poetry, the thoughts on seeing music & feeling colors, the adventures of hikes & walks & family times are all such fun reading. I drove through Corvalis today & thought of you but didn't have time to stop at the Loft. Miss our chats & your comments on my blog. At least I can read yours.