Monday, July 16, 2007

The Dishwasher

I love my shiny, stainless steel dishwashing machine. When we first moved into the Loft, I went out and bought dishwasher detergent right away. It made me so happy just to place it in my shopping cart and then transfer it into the cupboard under the kitchen sink.

My children know to rinse their dishes and put them in the dishwasher after every meal. It hums away quietly most every evening, and then I unload it with great joy the next morning before breakfast.

I’m really crushing on this modern marvel, having only had the privilege of owning one for less than one year out of the previous six.

Getting the dishwasher loaded after dinner is so much more significant and meaningful than it used to be. Under the old system, “getting the dishwasher loaded” meant something entirely different: It had nothing to do with technology and everything to do with slipping Mom a couple of beers.

4 comments:

alison said...

I really couldn't be more happy for you.

alison said...

P.S. Do you have internet yet? The double post makes me think you don't.

What's the ETA on that?

AmberJ said...

I think so many chores could be made more enjoyable if part of the task required "slipping mom a few beers."

Eagle-eye Di said...

Dishwashers are wonderful when you have a busy life style.Annette wouldn't be caught dead without hers.I go through spurts where I find I enjoy standing at the sink washing them by hand.This normally happens when I have run out of dishwashing soap and decide to wait until payday to buy more.When I stand at the sink to wash them,I find its nice to have my mind wander to different things.Its a time of reflection and mind searching.Love ya.