Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A Whole New Chapter Begins

This morning was a big one.

Two (count them, two--out of a possible two) kids got up early. Two kids got themselves dressed and groomed. Two kids sat at the table smiling as they slurped chocolate peanut butter smoothies and munched pears from Cary's tree. Two kids put on shoes and backpacks and lined up for the customary first day of school photo. Two kids talked my ear off as we walked down to the bus stop and then those two kids climbed aboard the shiny yellow bus and were whisked away.

We followed them in the truck to walk the girl into her first day of first grade and put some funds into the kids' school lunch accounts. We also poked our heads into the boy's classroom, but mostly to introduce ourselves to the teacher. He was busy catching up with friends and unloading school supplies into his desk. I think he might have looked up and smiled at one point.

Then two parents returned home to an empty house.

Happy First Day of School.

9 comments:

mrsfish said...

Here's to great first days of school.

AmberJ said...

So is it a little sad? Or a sigh of relief?

I remember this time last year you were thinking "Whatever will I do with my time"

Tim said...

what an awesome, crazy, will it ever come, is it really here, when did this day happen, day...

I read and thought what a breather, and what a strange occurance...

We have three, at the moment only one in first grade, next year it will be two in the elementary system, and then by 2008 all three will be in the school system... life will be different I am sure...

Thanks for posting as it livened my evening...

The Smith's

My Blog: OutOfTheSilent

My Vlog: OutOfTheSilent

My YouTube Videos

alison said...

Christopher says hi.

Lydia wants to tell Elli she misses her and wants her to come back soon. P.S. say hi to Tano.

Eden says, "Bye Tano"

We are late for bed and all of us are crammed in front of the computer. You KNOW how crammed that is!

Mister Ed T said...

Hope every school day starts like that! Yep, its a sigh of fall, and a sign of growing up.

CML_Shearings said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying those pears like we are. Thanks for posting the photo. You are all in my heart! Happy School Year!

Sheila said...

Happy School indeed!
What's with Tano's glasses? Are they necessary, or just necessary for his cool look?

Sherry C said...

Sheila,

Tano has worn glasses for a year and a half now, but these are his new, ultra-cool frames.

They are actually sport glasses, and most people would have them as a secondary pair, but the boy thinks they are cool enough to be his primary glasses. I have to agree. They don't slide down his nose, they have a strap to keep them attached to his face or around his neck, and he can wear them out to recess or baseball practice without any fear.

I think he looks a little superhero-ish, but I can't quite place it. Am I thinking of Dash, from The Incredibles?

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe both kids are in school full time now. I was used to Tano, but not Elli. Did she grow up when I wasn't looking?
Love to everyone.
Grandpa Larry