Wednesday, September 13, 2006

That Little Bookworm

We have been fairly strict with bedtimes since school started up. There is just no room for tired, grouchy kids, when the bus comes at 8:00 sharp. So, both kids are in bed at 8:00 or a few minutes after, but the boy can read until 8:30, now that he is downstairs in his own room.

Last night, however, the system failed. He went downstairs dutifully at 8:00 and I said, as usual, that I'd be down to tuck him in at 8:30. Oops. Totally forgot about the kid. He came up to use the bathroom at 10:20, bleary-eyed, but clearly awake.

"Did you guys forget about me?" he grinned.

"Oh, no! Have you been reading this whole time?"

Another grin.

He has almost finished The Three Musketeers (the Junior Classics version, not the original).

"Please, can't I just finish it?"

"No! You need to go to sleep, crazy kid!"

Where does he get such things?

Oh. I suppose it's deeply embedded in his little genetic code somewhere.

2 comments:

Sherry C said...

Andy, upon reading this, reminded me that I havn't been much of a bookworm lately; I've been more of a computer worm.

Is he calling me an infectuous virus?

I think I am deeply offended.

Mister Ed T said...

I don't think the apple fell far from the tree. And I'm not talking about the one from which you get that deliceous sounding "carmel appe butter." I want some the next time we pop in from an all night drive. (Hope not, about the all nighter I mean. We're getting just a little bit too old for that!)