Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Gift

I did not get to bed early last night. Not by a long shot. I haven't been to bed before midnight all week.

But I awoke this morning, feeling surprisingly rested and refreshed, before my alarm went off. Even with my eyes closed, I could feel the sunlight streaming in through my east-facing bedroom window. Ahhh, it would be a sunny day. I stretched lazily and rolled over, away from the bright morning light.

I had a brief moment of panic when I realized that I should not be waking up so peacefully on my own, after getting to bed so late so many nights in a row. Perhaps we had all overslept! I peeked at my clock, afraid of what I'd find, but to my delight, I had a half an hour yet before I needed to get up.

Luxury.

I sank deeper into my pillow and pulled the covers, which were just the right temperature, up over my shoulders to doze some more. I was mildly confused as to why I had woken up so early on my own, but chose to dismiss conscious thought in favor of unconscious bliss.

Then it hit me.

Have you ever had a thought enter your mind so clearly, so concretely, so completely out of context that you know it has been directly planted there by God Himself? It was one of those thoughts that hit me.

This is a gift.

That was the thought. It was startling enough to make me blink open my eyes and wonder where it had come from and what it meant. And almost as quickly as the thought had come, its meaning became obvious to me.

God has woken me up. He has given me the gift of adequate rest, supernaturally, as the clock hours don't add up to enough. And He has invited me to come spend extra time with Him this morning, just Him and me, before the rest of the family gets up.

I smiled at the invitation, which was so very plain to see, even in my drowsy state, and I decided to accept.

But first, I would just stretch a little more. The sun was blinding, so I didn't want to open my eyes quite yet. Better to let them adjust gradually by keeping them closed a little longer. The bed was so warm, the pillow so soft. Even though the sheets technically needed changing, they felt absolutely perfect right at that moment. I was so comfortable...

My alarm went off.

I had fallen back asleep. I had ignored such a lovely invitation. I had refused the gift.

And for what? Half an hour of sleep that I didn't even need.

Ugh.

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

Oh dear! I can totally relate to this! Sometimes I have accepted the invitation and tasted the delight of such a moment. Other times I have missed out on it, due to choosing comfort and rest in my own bed, over God's offer of comfort and rest in time spent with Him. Sad! But, take heart, if you're sincere in desiring that gift, it will be offered again.

Troy said...

Sherry,

you write so well, whether it's about seizing the day or the hectic nature of life between bathroom breaks.

Nice to be here.

t

CML_Shearings said...

I totally agree with Jeannie. I have resembled your description, but the Lord is gracious and offers the gift more than once.

Mister Ed T said...

Yep! I guess we all need to relearn the lesson till we get it right!