Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Does This Ever Happen to You?

I had needed to go to the bathroom for a while. But first, I had to find my son's baseball uniform in "the pile" in the laundry room and get it into the washer. Then, I had to wash up a couple of bowls for the kids' after school snack. After that, I had to quickly find that paper someone needed. I had to find the source of the mysterious smell coming from somewhere in the house. I had to follow my son to the library shelves in the basement to select the next family bedtime novel, as we just finished one (remind me to write about it--it was great). I had to admire Elli's Lego creation and hear the story of how it came into being.

By now, I REALLY needed to go to the bathroom, but before I could, I had to get the baseball uniform in the dryer. He needed to be at the field in an hour and it couldn't wait another minute. Then, I had to take whatever was in the puppy's mouth away from him and put at least a little bit of research into what I could scrape together for dinner. I had to help Elli find a suitable place to hang her flag. I had to find that other paper that someone else needed.

Finally, nearing desparation, I danced uncomfortably to the bathroom, calling to my daughter over my shoulder, "I'm sorry; that will have to wait a moment; I HAVE to go to the bathroom."

I had barely unbuttoned my jeans when I heard my son's voice at the door.

"Can you hurry up in there, Mom? I really have to go to the bathroom."

I tried to remain civil. "I just sat down. You are going to have to wait."

Sensing my annoyance, he replied quietly, "Ok, sorry."

About five seconds passed before he spoke again, apologetically, "Mom, I REALLY have to go."

I finished as quickly as I could and got out of there.

Does this ever happen to anyone else but me?

I'm sure it must, but just not to any of my friends or readers, as I am probably the only one among us who only has one bathroom.

I'm content with a simple life and a simple home, really I am. But sometimes I think I might put a porta-potty out in the yard for kids who can't wait.

5 comments:

mrsfish said...

I have three bathrooms (one for each floor) but I still get people walking in on me telling me to hurry because they have to go to the bathroom.

Sherry C said...

Oh, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to handle that very civilly, Mrs. F.

I think I would growl and bark out, "Three people, three bathrooms! Go Away!"

I can be quite frightening when I growl and bark. I think they would slink away quietly.

Scott said...

Then again, you could always send him outside to a tree.

Jeannie said...

I grew up with an old-fashioned outhouse (made of partially rotted wood) in the backyard as our only bathroom facility (in a family of 7) for a year and a half! One of those new-fangled porta-potties sounds like a luxury!

Mister Ed T said...

Sherry, what you have described is "life!" Our "new old" house has only one bathroom in it. How ofter I've wished for one in the basement. (Some of the plumbing it there--just need time and money) My succestion. Have Andy build an authentic looking outhouse complete with a moon cut-out in the door. You could have your port-a-potty inside, along with a custom made rocker for the person who whats to use it for a get-away. In the mean time you could designate a tree for Tano! Maybe another one for Andy too!!! Life WILL go on.